Students wishing to read ahead for the Spring 2015 module “The Novel” can consult this up-to-date reading list of primary texts.*
- Daniel Defoe, Robinson Crusoe, ed., Thomas Keymer (Oxford: World’s Classics, 2007).
- Frances Burney, Evelina, ed. Jones and Bloom (Oxford: World’s Classics, 2008).
- Jane Austen, Persuasion, ed. Lynch and Kinsley (Oxford: World’s Classics, 2008).
- Charles Dickens, Great Expectations, ed. M. Cardwell & K. Flint (Oxford: World’s Classics, 1994).
- Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary, trans. G. Wall (London: Penguin, 2003).
- Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady, ed. R. Luckhurst (Oxford: World’s Classics, 2009).
- George Gissing, New Grub Street, ed. J. Goode (Oxford: World’s Classics, 2008).
- Jean Rhys, Good Morning Midnight (London: Penguin, 2000).
- There will be a post-1945 novel TBA. (Obviously, you can’t read this one ahead!)
*Why aren’t the library and Study Direct reading lists up to date? you may reasonably wonder. It’s because they are slow and cumbersome to update and I have not yet had the time it physically takes to manipulate their interfaces. Typing, however, I can do.